Sunday, September 25, 2011

Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games

Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games I will be honest. I came across this book on many review blogs but I never gave it any thought. The cover did not attract me and I could barely understand the plot. However with time there was a huge buzz surrounding this now trilogy.And so I decided to give the book a try. And am I glad I did!?! I loved The Hunger Games.

This is one of those books that reached great heights of popularity and is extremely different from other books out there. The Hunger Games is set in a dystopian future. It is written wonderfully well and has a killer plot. How do you think the world will be in a century or so? Suzanne Collins has portrayed a very accurate if brutal view of what she thinks America will be in the future. The rich have grown richer. Poor have grown poorer. And reality TV Show has taken over the form of entertainment. Suzanne Collins also seems to be inspired by Greek Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur and the Iraq War. The post-apocalyptic world she has created with Panem is rich and exciting. It's amazing how different life in the Capitol is from life in the various districts.
Now The Hunger Games are a little like Survivor except the contestants ( here Tributes) must kill each other off instead of being voted off. The Game is brutal and savage and yet extremely addicting. I loved each part of the game and how it was detailed.The protagonist even carried out a fake relationship to attract sponsors. The protagonist sixteen-year old Katniss Everdeen is startlingly different from other female protagonists in young adult fiction. She is calculating and shrewd. She is strong and independent and far from the damsel in distress. She kills and barely feels the remorse. I was shocked by her at times and yet I could not have loved her more. The supporting characters were interesting and well developed. I am especially in love with Peeta Mellark who also goes to The Hunger Games with Katniss. There is some romance there.
For those worried about the violence I must say this book does not have that much of gore and there was nothing shocking there. ( But then again I love Dexter so maybe I am just underestimating it ). It's one of the best books I have ever read and I recommend it highly to everyone. Similar Books: Eragon by Christopher Paoline (Not really but yeah if Eragon had no magic/dragons) There is a movie in production starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen and Josh Hutcherson AKA the kid from Bridge To Terabithia who is all grown up now is playing Peeta Mellark and Liam Hemsworth AKA Miley Cyrus's ex-bf though perez hilton says they back together as Gale i.e Kat's BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment